Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Ignorance is bliss and I am out to make you miserable!

I was recently amazed at the stark ignorance of some people. Last week I was the AV Guy for a youth doing a presentation on Romania. In her talk, she mentioned how some Romanian parents give their children to oprhanages so that the child has a chance at a better life. After the presentation, a lady walks up to me and says, "Preacher..." In my brief career, any conversation that starts with the word "Preacher," instead of "Chris," never ends well! "Preacher, I just don't see how any good mother could give up her child. No good can ever come from that!" I appreciate how the thought of a mother giving up her child so that the child can have a chance at a better life is often romanticized and that not every child comes to an orphanage this way. Anyway, if this lady had of kept quiet I would not have been able to tell that there was a village missing their idiot! No, she opens her mouth removing my doubt. Now, I could have met her ignorance with compassion, tolerance, and education. I did the latter of the three, but I replaced compassion and tolerance with crushing sarcasm and biting wit both of which can educate! (Mom always said education either costs or hurts...sometimes both.) In all fairness, she didn't know I was a smartass and that Summer and I are adopting. I said, "you know...you're right...no good mother would ever give up her child so that he or she could have a better life. Nothing good ever comes of a child who begins life that way. Then again, you could try reading that book that usually collects dust sandwiched between the two hymnals on the back of the pew you apparently have been staring blankly at for years. Find that book and flip to Exodus 2..." At this point, I head to my car. In the distance I can hear Sister Bertha Better-Than-You asking, "why Exodus 2." (Ah-ha, she has noticed that I am a seasoned Biblical smartass!) I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall when she got to a Bible!

No comments: