Thursday, February 08, 2007

Sleep how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I have decided that motherhood can sometimes feel like bootcamp. Sophie had her first real bought with illness this past week when she ran a very high fever for several days. This meant many sleepless nights, lots of motrin and tylenol and two visits to the doctor.

I have come to understand the true meaning of sleep deprevation. From Wed night of last week to Wed morning of this week I can count on two hands how many hours of sleep I got. I know what prisoners of war must feel like. After two days without sleep it is hard just to think mush less not overdose your child on fever reducers. I got up one time to make a bottle and forgot to put the liner in the bottle and poured 6 oz of formula onto the counter. I woke up one time dreaming I had left the baby on the changing table (I never did this only dreamed it) only to rush in and find her safe and sound. I then overslept on Friday morning and arrived late for work. By over sleeping I am saying that I accidentally feel asleep at 530 am and did not get up until 745 which meant I got three instead of one hours of sleep. I swear if you had interrogated me at that time I would have told you anything if you would just let me sleep. Yet I went to work and it was all a blur. I then worked third shift over the weekend with Chris taking morning shift long enough for me to get a few hours of sleep. I am still reeling from the sleep deprivation and would do anything to go into a coma for a few days.

However, I am happy to say baby girl is feeling better and is now back to her happy self. She even said ma ma ma tonight without being angry. All in all said I would still love to get some sleep, but Sophie is worth every hour.

This post is dedicated to Sophie with love,
Your very sleepy ma ma ma ma....

No comments: